An illustration of the exterior of an imposing four storey gothic Victorian building on the junction of several avenues. A large cartouche in the shape of a shield on a part of the building jutting out on to the street. Text inside the cartouche identifies the building as the Birmingham and Midland Eye Hospital. Pedestrians and vehicles teeming with life outside of the building.
#BirminghamHistory Birmingham Eye Infirmary opened in April 1824 on Cannon Street. Moving to Steelhouse Lane in 1853/4 the Infirmary changed its name to The Birmingham and Midland Eye Institution. The building on Church Street was erected in 1884. Ref: WK/B11/2760 #LibraryofBham